Friday, December 11, 2009

The First Response Results

My period was a week late. I knew I was pregnant. My husband and I have been together since high school, but it seemed too soon to be pregnant---it meant we got pregnant on our honeymoon! It meant I was pregnant at our 10 year high school reunion over Thanksgiving. It meant that after 10 years of dating and two weeks of marriage I got pregnant. I felt too young for this.

But the reality was that my PMS symptoms didn't result in my period (cravings, cramps, bloating, hot flashes, etc), so I had to take the test. And in the midst of a life-changing moment, our usual brand of hilarity ensued...

It was midnight on Wednesday. H had an early meeting the following morning and asked me to wait to take the test until Friday. Ummm, no! Let's get it over with.

I peed on the stick, then ran into the bed to lie there with the H for our 3 minute waiting period. "Okay, you have to go look at the results," I said.

After some convincing, H went into the bathroom to determine our fate. After some silence, he shouts "You're not pregnant!"

"I'm not?!"

"No, the lines are too far apart."

"Lines?? Two lines means I'm pregnant. Is there more than one line????"

"Wait. There are two lines, but it doesn't look like the picture. So you can't be pregnant. In the picture, they're really close together."

"Babe, two lines means I'm pregnant. Bring me the test."

Yup. Two lines. I'm pregnant. And to give H some credit, the lines were much farther apart on the little results screen than on the results diagram, but I teased him about it anyway.

We laughed.

Then we laid in bed and started semi-freaking out...

2 comments: