Friday, December 11, 2009

Cravings... Before I Knew I Was Preggo...

Last Saturday night in NYC, it was 30 degrees with freezing rain. I had plans to go to Arlene's Grocery, but couldn't bear the thought of leaving the house so I canceled my plans to stay home at catch up on Lost Season 5 while my husband was out with his friends.

At some point in the evening I had an intense craving for calorie-dense Italian food and a smokey red wine. I just couldn't think of anything better than sipping a glass or two of wine, so I got dressed for the first time all day and went to the wine store.  I was sooooooo content that evening.

The next day, all I could think about was drinking more wine. So I had a big glass Sunday evening also with my leftovers from Ottomanelli's Cafe.

Then it dawned on me. What if my body is craving wine because it knows this is the last time I can drink it?

At this point, I was still waiting for my period to come. My cycle was a little off the prior month so I wasn't sure if my iPhone's Free Menstrual Calendar (FMC)* app was accurate. If it was accurate, then my period was 4 days late.

On Monday, I was hungrier than usual. My commute home from Soho to the UES takes 45-60 minutes, and on Monday night I couldn't wait to get home before eating a snack. I was still thinking about my weird wine craving as I went into the Sunrise Mart for some salmon sushi and seaweed salad.  I quickly ate there and then headed uptown for my actual meal.

As soon as I left Sunrise Mart, I thought "Oh SH*T. I'm definitely pregnant." I had another "bad food" craving. Sushi is another no-no for preggers, so I had a profound feeling that some higher power was telling me to eat it while I was still oblivious...

Fast forward to Tuesday. Period was now 6 days late, and I had the day off from work.

It was the perfect Manhattan winter day. The cold and wind from the weekend subsided, the sun was out, and the air was a crisp 45 degrees. When I walked out of my apartment building and the fresh air hit me, I thought, "Ahhh, today would be a great day to go to the park, bum a cigarette or two and sit on a bench to people watch."

Oh God, now I was craving cigarettes. I haven't bummed a cigarette in months!  (Don't worry--I didn't smoke.)

And low and behold, I took the pregnancy test the following day and we know how that turned out. I'm glad I got my bad girl cravings out of the way before I could officially feel guilty about them.





*I was using the FMC (which I cutely referred to in conversation with my hubby as the "F*ck Me Calendar") to avoid pregnancy by using what I guess you'd call the Rhythm Method. Let's just say we think we conceived on the day AFTER my FMC said I stopped being fertile.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I took my first test after being late last Friday the 11th. Meanwhile, this is after my birthday on the 9th when I went out and drank copious amounts of sake at a Japanese steak house. I got a faint line on Friday and decided to take a digital test on Saturday. Lo and behold, hubs and I are expecting!

    We must be due at around the same time. My OB says I'll be 5 weeks on Saturday. What a wonderful gift. Best wishes to you and your little pee-wee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment :) Thanks and congratulations!

    Yeah, I didn't mention all the drinking I did on Thanksgiving weekend... We're pretty sure we conceived on Nov. 17th by accident, so yeahhhh, lots of celebrating between then and now unawares. I'm sure there's a grace period!

    ReplyDelete